With the increasing demand of Android apps among the businesses- Startups or Enterprises, there are more and more companies mushrooming in the digital market to cater to this soaring demand. In this high level of competition, it becomes extremely difficult for a company owner to choose the best available resources to get their app built for promotion and marketing. It is known that an Android app can help reach a wide audience which may not be the case when only a website is built for promoting the brand.
Coming of Modern Resources for Android Development:
As the technology advances and more modern resources come to the rescue of Android developers who can save their time in creating the apps for their clients as well as deliver the most advanced and robust smartphone apps. Also, not to forget that these app resources as compared to the past ones are made to save a lot of time so that more projects can be accomplished in much lesser time as ever before!
Invaluable List of Resources for Android Development:
If you are an Android developer with quite an experience in creating apps for the clients from over the years, one can easily feel the differences that have creeped in the terms of platforms and IDE being deployed in the past and present.
This post is intended to make your feel more familiar with the resources that are very important for not only the beginner developers in Android development, but also those developers who are looking forward to update their knowledge base as well as the way that Android apps are built upon these days. We think that to be successful in Android app development, it is important to be in synchronization with the current trends in the market and what matters the most is the use of most advanced tools and techniques so that the apps created are exceptional and takes the business or concept of the client to something very extraordinary.
General Programming to Basics: What all you need to know?
There are some fundamental basics of Android app development that one needs to be familiar of in a very apt manner. There are some platforms as GitHub etc which lets all the team members of a project to work in a collaborative manner leading to better code sharing and accomplishing of the app development projects. Some of them are as following. These are also good add-ons and even alternatives of GitHub of sharing source code and version controls.
● GitLab: One can try GitLab for free. It is a fully-features CD pipeline that can automate the delivery process very easily. You just need to simply commit the code and all other process is completely done by the tool itself. It is 200% faster and is a holy grail for project planning and source code management. It helps to manage, plan, create, verify, package, release, configure, monitor and secure the code base of an app in Android development process.
● Git- Branching Workflows : Incorporating the lightweight workflows are very important to let the development process go smooth. It uses the simple branch merging process and with every other workflow, this is a favorite of the developers who create Android apps while some may not like. There are 3 types: Gitflow workflow, Centralized workflow, Forking workflow etc.
● Beanstalk :It is an excellent tool as it lets the fluid code review with every detail at a developer’s fingertips. Request a code review, assign reviews, and get to work. The review process is designed to start the discussion early and integrates directly with your branch, resulting in more feedback from your team.
● SourceForge: It has over 3.7 million registered users so one can choose this tool and platform easily to make the process hassle-free. It is dedicated to make the things much more easier as it is an open-source community resource to help the developers assist each other on a project.
Tools to Check the Code Quality of an Android App:
There are many tools that companies use to measure the quality of their code and the health of the codebase. The coverage, test units and other factors like debt of the code base has to be measured side by side if the Android developers want the code base be bug-free. All the bugs and other technical issues are made visible by the tools that we have mentioned below and which are an integral part of Android development process.
It’s a leading product for continuous code quality. It lets you know about the bugs and vulnerabilities, debt, coverage and unit tests. It not only shows the health of an application but also highlight issues that are new to the app. But, due to Quality Gate in place, fixing the issue is important to improve code systematically.
In Java programming in Android development, it’s very easy to find bugs and fix them using FindBugs. It’s a completely free software under GNU public license. Also, it is a program which uses static analysis to look for bugs in Java code. It has already been downloaded and used more than a million times.
Checkstyle is a development tool to help programmers write Java code that adheres to a coding standard. By default it supports the Google Java Style Guide and Sun Code Conventions, but is highly configurable. It can be invoked with an ANT task and a command line program.
How this tool plays a major role in Android development is because of the fact that it checks your Android project source files for potential bugs and optimization improvements for correctness, security, performance, usability, accessibility, and internationalization. When using Android Studio, configured lint and IDE inspections run whenever you build your app. However, you can manually run inspections or run lint from the command line.
Android Development Resources for Beginners:
While there are some tools that are perfect for experts and intermediate developers, others may need to start out with something very simple and hassle-free. Here we have included the resource links which are really easy to handle by the beginners in Android development.
- Android Application Fundamentals
- Activities, Fragments, Services, Broadcast Receivers.
- Android Application Manifest
- Code lab — Build your first Android App
Getting Acquainted with the layouts of the apps in Android development:
There is much variety when it comes to choosing the layout of the apps. From FrameLayout to RelativeLayout to ConstraintLayout.
You can make yourself familiar with these layouts by reading about them here:
Some more important links:
Write your own Gradle tasks:
Working with Gradle is probably something that gets overlooked when developing Android apps. Make sure you understand the basics, even better — learn how to write your own gradle tasks!
Links for the task:
So, we discussed about all the important links and resources which are a must-haves for building any type of apps using Android development platform.